Saturday, August 21, 2010

Starting Fresh

My friend wasn't kidding when she said if I looked around, it would be hard not to find at least one party a night. I haven't had to look. Already, someone has come in offering to go take some shots, someone talking about a hockey party, a basketball party, and some other random party someone else found out about though someone in another dorm. It's my second night at BSU and classes haven't started yet.

I am starting to realize that knowing what goes on in a college and actually being at a college and having it all around me are two different things. I knew that there would be partying. I now know that I don't look like I drink (whatever the heck that was supposed to mean) and that while everyone is telling me to go socialize, there is no point when I'm the only person who isn't drinking.

When I look out my window I see the setting sun, a horizon of dull salmon drifts across the sky; a similar but more colorful fog to what I awoke to at seven this morning. Looking a little lower, it looks like a field of dark leaves stretch to mingle with what is left of the setting sun. Something closer to home (or the dorm), is a car park, the place my yoga class is supposed to be (I say supposed to be because no one really knows where it is. The instructor isn't listed on the BSU website either), and a highway. Not exactly a lake side view (that's on the other end of my dorm), but from the ninth floor of a twelve floor dorm, it's not exactly looking into the bowels of a leech either. 

I'm excited to start my classes. Right now, it feels like there is too much down time. I wonder if the partying will slow any once the semester begins. I'm going to assume not. I'm sure I'll be begging for down time by the time I have to start studying, but for now, going to class would be a nice break in the monotony. Luckily, my friend and her kids will be coming by to see the dorm tomorrow and to go for a coffee at Dunn Bros. I'm going to try track down the non-existent Yoga classroom and my other Ed Arts, Stuttgart, and Hagg-Sauer classrooms.

So I'm starting fresh. Something I've always wanted to do (while living in one place my whole life is nice, it also left me begging for a new face, one who didn't watch all my embarrassing moments growing up). Let's see how long I survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment