Monday, January 17, 2011

Is it Sci-Fi or Something Else?

Thanks to my Mass Media professor, here is the link to something I find rather disturbing. According to the article, if you haven't clicked to read, Intel is in the process of developing a chip that can harness brain waves to control computers, TVs, and cell phones.

When I was in middle school, I came across the book "Feed" by M.T Anderson. I was trying to pry my fingers off the Harry Potter books at home; the bindings were wearing faster than I could buy them again, so I was perusing the school library.
"Feed," I had thought. "Sounds interesting."
Scary, more like. It's a futuristic story from the point of view of a boy who is a part of a generation with the internet/TV hardwired to their brains. Literally. As babies, a chip is implanted into their brains. The book follows this boy as he meets someone who will try to change his view on the world. This someone (obviously) is a girl. She had the chip planted much later in life, as a teen. This, and having parents who believed in education outside of holograms and whatnot, allowed her to experience the world outside the "Feed." While a great book, it has haunted me ever since. By the end of the book, I vowed that no machine would ever hook into my head, nor to any child of mine I should ever have. My Dad smiled when I told him I was afraid of this future. He said, "Kriss, it's Sci-Fi. We probably won't see that future come to pass. Don't worry."
Ha.
Now, here it is. Thanks, Intel, for making my nightmares come true.

Going back to the article, I want to leave you with one quote that struck me as down right horrifying.
"He also predicted that users will tire of having to manipulate an interface with their fingers." Are you kidding me???? WALL-E ANYONE???

No comments:

Post a Comment