Thursday, April 7, 2011

What would you ask?

Well, I've turned in another paper for Writing Creative Nonfiction. While I haven't edited it a million and ten times, I'm going to trust in my BFF's once-over and deem it ready to post here:

Home Sweet Home (Updated)


Ignore the title. And the final line. The title is probably one of my worst (including calling a braided essay I wrote: Braided Essay), and definitely my cheesiest.The same could be said of my final line.

But that's not the main reason why I'm writing (typing) today.

There are only 28 days left of school.

On one hand, I'm ecstatic (on the other, it means I won't be in another classroom until the middle of August, instead I'll be working my tail off to pay to be in another classroom). May 17th- May 25th I will be in Oregon with my best friend and my dad's family who live there. Talk about exciting! But I am nervous as well. I'm looking forward to seeing my grandma (who I've only seen about three other times in my life), but there has been something clouding my thoughts. My grandma lived in Holland during WWII during her teenage years. She met my grandpa in Iraq while on holiday (though for the life of me I have no idea why someone would go to Iraq on holiday. Why not France or Italy?). But what's been tapping on my mind is this: would she be willing to talk about the war? How much would she remember? How much did it affect her? These are just a few questions that I want to ask (aside from what brought her to Iraq on holiday). My dad tells me she is willing to talk to me about it, though she never discussed it with him or his brother or sister growing up.
What questions do you ask a World War II survivor? Dad said she watches documentaries and reads books on the topic though it never fails to reduce her to tears. I don't want to upset her, but I don't want to miss a chance to listen to a first hand account on the war that tends to fascinate me the most.

Any ideas? What would you ask her if you had the chance? If I am able to record her, I may post it here when we return.

No comments:

Post a Comment