Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween and Other Stuff

Well, I've just passed the last legal-landmark of age: turning 21. I can now accompany my husband to buy wine instead of waiting in the car. On Tuesday, I languished in a day devoted to me--and being able to spend it all with my husband. Granted, I had to attend class, but I did get work off. We used that time to go to Longhorn Steakhouse and eat (on my end) lobster and crab soup with bacon mac n' cheese. Not having the ingredients for my dad's bacon mushroom mac n cheese (which I usually request for my birthday), we went to the only place we knew had the closest thing. John ate french onion soup (which was surprisingly tasty--after an unfortunate incident with bad french onion soup, it took a lot of bravery for me to try it again) and an amazing BBQ sandwich. After, we went and bought an ice cream cake from Publix (also tasty). I received some great presents from my parents in the mail, and my hubby made a dent in my amazon wishlist by getting me "Tales of Beedle the Bard" and "The Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling.

I spent the day thinking about how much has changed in a year and a half. For the first time in my life, I realized that I didn't care if I was given a gift ever again, because I was given the best gift of all on May 7th of 2011. I was introduced to the man of my dreams. If ever there was a reason to believe in a higher power, John is my reason. Of the billions that inhabit the Earth, I managed to bump into my soul mate at a party I wasn't planning on going to in the first place. Home from school, all I wanted to do was hang out with my dad before he went to his check up appointment at Mayo Clinic. I was still having a hard time being away from home knowing my dad was living with cancer. It was my best friend who convinced me to go to her friend's birthday party to relax and celebrate. When I arrived I realized I didn't know anyone there but Bill, a man I had met just days before. My best friend not there yet, I wanted to turn around and go home. Maybe it was the allure of the campfire, or the sign of recognition on Bill's face, but I walked over and sat in the only spot available--directly next to my future husband.  

I think of that moment often; the animated hand gestures as he spoke, his ability to make me laugh despite my sullen mood, his eloquent words, the firelight glinting with the mischief in his warm eyes. Before I knew it, it was 3AM the next day, only a few people lingering around the dying fire. I had just enough time to get home and wish my dad luck before he left for Rochester, and I couldn't bring myself to miss that opportunity. I left that party intrigued by John, hoping that we would bump into each other again soon.

I'm not saying our lives have been perfect--love can be a struggle some times. But 100% of the time, I'd rather be arguing with John than anywhere else I thought I'd be at this time two years ago. All I want for birthdays, Christmases, Easters, Thanksgivings, Valentine Days, and any other holiday is to spend time with my husband.

****
 Yesterday was Halloween, and for the first time in my life, I got to hand out candy to trick or treaters. Since I can remember, my family has lived out in the country...not a very likely option for kids to go knocking on doors. When I was a kid, my dad would take my brother and I to the Saint Hilaire Lions Club. They put on a costume contest and a hayride for the kids in the area. I loved riding around the neighborhoods, seeing the homes decked out in flashing lights. I was excited all day--for some reason, all I've ever wanted to do was hand someone some candy on my favorite holiday of the year. When the knock came at the door, I pushed homework from my lap and raced to the door. I flung it open and beheld...kids wearing winter jackets. Perhaps they had costumes on underneath, but they were dressed like I used to be this time in Minnesota. It was only 55 degrees in Savannah. My first year without snow, the first year I look forward to kids wearing costumes, and the natives are bundled up like there's frost on the ground. One look at the candy, and eyes popped wide.
 "How much can we take?" One boy asked, hopping on his feet. Murmurs of 'trick or treat' flew across the others, the moms standing with a watchful eye on the steps. I paused, trying to remember how much I got when I went around to homes in Saint Hilaire. Apparently, my answer came too slowly. Before I could open my mouth, hands dove into the plastic bowl I carried, children dashing ahead of parents with prizes being stuffed into coat pockets. I blinked, looking at the almost empty bowl before going back inside. Though one group of kids near cleared us out, I still couldn't help but feeling happy. Giving candy is definitely better than taking it!

No comments:

Post a Comment