Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hmmm...Should the Past Haunt Us Forever?

Should it? I just got Eminem's greatest hits songs. Everything from "My Name Is" to "White America" (only through 2008, so it's omitting actually most of his best work). I am trying to get myself to start working out in the mornings (could I pick a worse time?) and I needed work out music. Nothing pumps me up more than, well. . . most of Eminem's good music. I say 'good,' because as we all know, he does randomly slip back into the typical rapper (sex, drugs, violence). I came across this article while looking for writing blogs for my online class: copyblogger. In his song "Almost Famous," he depicts his rise to fame from the guy in a wife beater hiding in the corner to the man thankful to be alive (and out of rehab). But, Eminem is permanently attached to who he used to be:

"Now there he goes in Dre's studio cuppin his balls
Screaming the wood off the panelling
And cussing the paint off the walls"

I don't know anyone, really, who loves Eminem through and through. They always bring up his first few albums (I do too). There has formed a serious stereotype attached to those who listen to him. To be honest, most days I feel conflicted about this topic in general. Do people really change? Can they ever get past who they used to be? Eminem, as a person, has done bad things. Rapped about terrible things (killing his wife, for instance). Does that condemn who he has become? 

"Cus I ain't looking back, only forward, this whole spot blowing
Who coulda known he'd grow to be a poet and not know it
And while I'm being poetic let me get historic and raise the bar"

And though he seems to be the only rapper with lyrics that seem to have some meaning (White America, for instance) no one can deny, he tells it like it is. There is no political correct filter in Shady's mind, nor regard for the harm his words might bring.

". . . that's why they put my
Lyrics up under this microscope, searchin' with a fine tooth comb, its like this rope, waitin'
To choke, tightening around my throat, watching me while I write this, like I don't like this,
Nope, all I hear is, lyrics, lyrics, constant controversy, sponsors working 'round the clock, to
Try to stop my concerts early, surely hip-hop was never a problem in Harlem, only in Boston. . ."

One last point to this questionaire post: Eminem knows himself. Notice how I didn't pull from secondary sources? These are his lyrics. Eminem today, knows who he used to be. Maybe he doesn't apologize, but he makes sure we know he is a changed person. When considering who someone is today, should all their past transgressions be pulled out and waved around like a flag? I don't know. Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment