Thursday, February 28, 2013

It's the Future!

When I was in middle school, I remember taking a computer class that taught us the basics of coding. Because it was just the one class, I can't recall anything except that once you got into it, the basics were actually pretty easy. Here is a video staring people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg discussing the wave of the future. I instantly thought about how in a few years, coding might become another 'language' requirement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc

If it allowed me to work in an office like that, I'd try it!

3 comments:

  1. H just sent me that same link. Have you seen Sugata Mitra's Build a School in the Cloud. Amazing times in which we live.

    Here's the link

    http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_build_a_school_in_the_cloud.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet, so thanks for the post! I did see that you linked to Amanda Palmer's Art of Asking. I've been waiting for hers to come out. She is Neil Gaiman's wife, and he has been posting updates on watching her get ready for it. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow both Amanda and Neil on Twitter. It's amazing what she is able to do . . . just by asking. But that seems to be the way of the future.

    Guy Kawasaki mentions in his book "Enchantment" that years ago when you wanted to sell or market an idea or concept, you had to sell the company brass on it. If they liked your idea or concept, it went into production. If not, it never saw the light of day.

    But now, almost anyone can start a movement or have an impact. Kawasaki says instead of just planting one seed, so to speak, (selling your idea to the company president) and fertilizing the crap out of it (ads, ads, ads), now you have to plant a thousand seeds and see where they take root. He says you never know what will happen if Lonelygirl42 likes your idea on Facebook and spreads it to GeekyNerd101 on Twitter and he spreads it to his community of friends . . . Kawasaki argues that more of often than not, that is how movements happen today.

    I'm not totally sold on it yet, but look at Linux or the blog neverseconds . . . you just never know when you'll strike gold.

    As I said, what amazing times in which to live!

    ReplyDelete