Friday, September 17, 2010

Good News!

Dad's melanoma seems to be totally gone! During his surgery a few weeks ago, they found cancer in one node they tested and decided to remove the rest around it; and it seems they got it all. The surgery on his colon was on Tuesday, and he seems to be doing well. They took out 22 inches, and we'll get the tests back on all of that in a couple weeks. I'll be going home this weekend so we can all go see him on Sunday. I can't wait. Talking to him on the phone is funny, they are managing his pain well so his words slur.
What with all the good news that seems to be coming our way, I can not forget that first day, the day I called him to see how his doctor's appointment went. I had to practically yank the information out of Dad. He wasn't going to tell me, but by asking the right questions (my dad has yet to utter a lie to me), he spilled. When I got home, Mom told me the doctor didn't give us any hope. That was the worst day of my life, hands down. With the memory of my grandpa (Dad's Dad) recently dying of a cancer so aggressive it took him within months, the idea of my dad having cancer of any kind was horrible. I hope that doctor is being smote right now.

On a less important note, I've got a new phone! One that charges! I probably would have been fine with my other phone, but the thing that plugs in to charge had broken off completely, and I was using my brother's old phone to charge my battery in. It's the Samsung Messenger, and I have yet to see about putting ringtones on it. I hope it's as easy as it was for my previous phone. . .

I've only got two classes today, Advanced Writing was at 9, and Myth is at 11. My algebra and astronomy professors will just be 'gone,' and my American Lit teacher (Rose Weaver) is attending her daughter's wedding in New York. She was pretty antsy to be gone on Wednesday (she left for Minneapolis right after our class). I asked her about New York because there is a chance for me to go on a Lutheran mission trip to NY over the Christmas break (if it's 20p I'm so there). She told me what I've always heard about the city; it's louder than anything I can imagine, the speed of life in incredible, and it's easy to get lost. I have an aversion to extreme noise, overwhelmingly quick paces, and I'm the most directionally challenged person I know. Why do I want to go to New York? I think it's just one of those places, one to see before I die. Though I have many other cities ahead of NY on that list (Rome, London, Barcelona, Paris, Tokyo, among many, many others), if there is going to be an opportunity, why not take it?
Speaking of traveling, I saw a flier at Career Services advertising a need for an English teacher in China (an English school). . . no need to have previous experience teaching, no need to speak another language, and the lowest degree they require is an AA . . .

3 comments:

  1. Did you happen to slip in 20p,as in British money, as in top gear into your blog? Most likely without thinking about it. lol goofy. And while china would be great, I think you need to practice a lot more with chopsticks if that is going to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I suppose I did!
    Mom has already filled me in on why China isn't a good idea. I swear, no one is adventurous anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not saying you shouldn't be adventurous, just that you need to take steps, not just jump into china lol.

    ReplyDelete